When it comes to bike trailers, there isn't just a one-size-fits-all option. Bike trailers come in many different shapes and sizes. Some trailers are designed for biking along off-road terrain, some are better for babies, and others are better for older kids. The bike trailer you end up going with really depends on your needs and preferences.
We've narrowed down the best bike trailers to give you some of the best ones from each category.
Thule Chariot Cross
The Thule Chariot Cross is truly the best all-around trailer we've found. It can seamlessly transition between a trailer, jogger, and stroller. We enjoy the performance of the trailer. The Cross has an adjustable suspension to help ensure the ride is always smooth, whether you're on a paved sidewalk or a rugged trail. Essentially the suspension system connects the brakes and the wheels to the trailer's body so that it absorbs the bumps imposed by the road surface. In addition, it also absorbs the noise of the trailer.
We also like the overall comfort and interior design of the trailer. The seats are well-padded to ensure your child is comfortable. There are also adjustable vents located in the front of the trailer to allow airflow and keep your baby cool. These vents can be removed to prevent rain from getting inside. Besides the price, there's nothing we don't like about the trailer.
- Works great as a stroller, trailer, and jogger
- Excellent sunshade and rain cover to protect your child
- XL sized cargo space to hold additional items
- Easily fold and store your trailer
- Padded seats to ensure a smooth ride
- Quite expensive
- Sippy cup pocket may sometimes be hard to reach
Burley D'Lite X
Best for Terrain
If you're someone who loves taking your kids on hikes or mountain terrains, we suggest the Burley D'Lite X. This trailer comes with premium rugged wheels that are much beefier than other trailers. These wheels have a reflective strip on each side to add visibility so that others can detect your presence ahead. What separates these tires is that their threading is much more aggressive, which provides more traction, especially on dirt trails. The wheels are also wider, measuring at 20 x 2.125" compared to the Thule Cross, which is measured at 20 x 1.75". The larger dimension and its ability to hold more air in each tire help to dampen the bumps along the way.
In addition, there are five different suspension settings so that users can make changes based on the weight load of their cargo or swapping between one or two kids. Whether you're traveling through gravel, snow, sand, or any other terrain, the Burley D-LiteX can do it all!
- 20" inch durable wheels to ensure a smooth ride in any terrain
- Adjustable suspension made for all conditions
- The seat has 3-different recline positions
- Seats have pads and headrest for enhanced comfort
- Removable rubber floor for easy cleaning
- The cover may not pull completely taut for a sleek look
Great for Taller Children
When testing the Hamax Outback, we immediately found their interior to be much more spacious than other trailers. The interior dimensions of a one-child trailer are 25.6" in height and 13" inches wide. Since this trailer fits older children, you'll get much more bang for your buck. For example, if you bought the trailer for a baby, it could last for six years.
In addition, it has XL-sized cargo space to allow you to store your phone, wallet, and other supplies on the go. Its seats come with a 3-position recline feature along with an adjustable headrest, so your kids can lean back while riding.
- Very roomy and open cabin
- Provides maximum protection with bug screen, rain cover, and sunshade
- Easy conversion between biking kits and stroller
- Includes an adjustable headrest
- Wider and taller seat than competitors
- The Interior pocket seems a little small
When it comes to jogging and strolling, the Qeridoo Kidgoo stands out. It uses a smaller 8.5" stationary jogging wheel, making it easier to maneuver than the larger 14" jogging wheel kits that the Thule Chariot Trailer and Burley have. This maneuverability comes in handy when you're strolling through busy streets or making turns on a trail.
We also like how the Kidgoo comes with a foot-activated parking brake that allows you to park the trailer while you're at a stop or need to step away from the trailer. Another unique aspect of the Kidgoo is that they offer head protection designed to protect your child in the event the trailer tips over.
- Plush seats with padded sides and bottom for ultimate comfort
- Reclined seats make it easier to load kids
- Adjustable suspension helps to smooth out the ride for any bumpy terrain
- The rotating handlebar can be adjusted based on your height
- Rear storage has different compartments for phones and other items
- No back ventilation
- Seat pads can't be removed for washing
Allen Sports Steel
Budget trailers typically don't have very many features or tend to be built with low-quality materials. But Allen Sports Steel seems to be the exception. This trailer offers a very user-friendly 5-point harness system, lots of storage space, and smooth-rolling tires on their metal rims.
We like the safety features that this trailer has to protect your child. The seats are well padded to prevent sagging, unlike most hammock-style seats. The padding also acts as shock absorbers which makes the riding experience much more enjoyable. There's also a foot guard to protect your child's feet. In addition, there is a canopy to protect your child from bugs and shield them from rain and snow.
- Extremely affordable price
- Safety harness and safety flag to protect your child
- Collapsible folding design for easy storage
- Great storage space
- The hammock-style seat is thickly padded and sags less than other trailers
- Less durable than most other high-end trailers
Thule Chariot Cheetah XT
The Thule Chariot Cheetah XT stands out as being one of the best mid-range multi-sport trailers in the market. Since it only weighs 19 pounds, it's much easier to tow while riding a bike. Many other trailers weigh 25 lbs or upwards of 35 lbs which can slow you down, especially in uneven terrain. We also like the versatility of this trailer. It converts from a trailer to a stroller where it has two wheels in the front. In addition, it also can be converted for jogging and skiing activities.
In addition, the handlebars can be adjusted by height so that you can easily push the stroller forward without having to lean forward.
- Extremely lightweight trailer
- Bench-style seats prevent any sagging
- Rain cover and sunshade included
- The handlebar can be adjusted
- Designed for biking, strolling, cross-country skiing, and jogging
- Narrow-body isn't ideal for husky kids
Great for Inclement Weather
If you're looking for a more basic trailer without a hefty price tag, we like Thule Cadence as an option. The Cadence pulls very smoothly without hearing any clicking noises. One of the main features about this trailer is all of the different exterior covers that it provides.
It has a mesh door on the front which can be lifted up to let the kids in and out of the trailer. This cover is secured with a high-quality velcro system. The mesh material allows air to flow through to ensure your child remains cool throughout the trip. However, when it's raining, you can pull the rain cover to safeguard your child from any weather emergencies. In addition, the Cadence offers UV windows to block the harmful sun rays and get sunburnt.
- Includes a rain cover, sunshade, and mesh cover for weather protection
- Plenty of storage space
- It folds into a flat surface for storage and transport
- Able to fit two children
- Incredibly affordable
- It can't convert into a stroller or jogger
Good for Daily Walks
The Burley Minnow offers plenty of interior space, which makes it great for taller and bigger kids. It has a height of 27.5" and 16", which is bigger than most trailers. This provides more legroom for your children.
The wheels are a good 20 inches which provide better stability, and are well threaded to handle any bumps on the road. In addition, the trailer weighs only 21 lbs making it quite easy to toll around on your daily excursions. We found the cargo space to be quite large, measuring at 36 liters of storage capacity. This is perfect for taking your kids out to the park because you'll be able to fit your picnic lunch, blank, and even soccer ball all in the back.
- The cover is removable for easy cleaning
- Lots of head and legroom
- Large storage compartment
- Reflective piping and reflecting on wheels for enhanced visibility
- Tinted side windows to allow your child to sleep better
- Hammock style seat may be prone to sagging
Allen Sports Deluxe
Ideal for Two-Children
The Allen Sports Deluxe is an excellent trailer for two children. It offers thick-padded seating for additional comfort. And unlike hammock seats, these bench seats won't collapse inwards while riding. This trailer can also function as a stroller, so you can choose to bike or walk with your children. There's a five-point safety harness to secure your child from moving around during the ride. There are extra-large windows on the front and side so that your little riders have a nice view of the world as well.
- Fits two children
- Large front and side windows to allow your passengers to enjoy the ride
- Foot bar protects your children's feet
- A padded five-point harness helps to keep your children secure
- Available in two colors
- 16 inch wheels are a little small for a two-person trailer
Great for Safety
When purchasing a trailer to transport your kids around, safety should be a big priority in your decision. The Burley Bee offers several safety features to ensure your child is safe and comfortable at all times. There's a mesh helmet pocket to allow the rear of your child's helmet to recess in the back of the seat. This ensures your child can sit up without having their head uncomfortably pushed forward while riding on the trailer.
Also, we like how their 5-point harness system is adjustable to account for a person's weight and height. The side straps, crotch strap, and shoulder straps can easily be tightened or loosened. This is great for accommodating your child as they grow taller.
- Lots of cargo space for storage
- Easily converts from stroller to trailer or vice versa
- Very rugged and durable
- Adjustable height handlebar for easy strolling
- 5-point harness system to secure your child in place
- No sunshade available
The Wike Premium weighs only 24 pounds making it quite light and holding up to 100 lbs. It can be quickly converted into a jogger or trailer within seconds. The Wike trailer has two bicycle hitches for you to make the conversion and lock the trailer onto your bike. When strolling, there's an ergonomic handle with padding to push the stroll with minimal effort comfortably.
There are a few interior features that make it quite comfortable to ride in. It has hard plastic flooring, which prevents any sticks from poking at your child's feet through the bottom. In addition, there are vents and mesh cover to allow air to flow through, which keeps your child cool at all times.
- Lighter than most other trailers
- Offers helmet relief cushions to protect against bumpy rides and sudden stops
- Able to convert to a stroller, trailer, or jogger
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Excellent ventilation to keep children cool
- It feels a little bulky
- No sun guard
The Schwinn Joyrider is a very sleek trailer that can hold up to two children up to 80 lbs and has additional storage that can hold 12 more pounds of accessories. This additional storage space lets you hold anything such as balls, small items, or even your groceries. These are actual bucket seats similar to your car with a harness strap to fasten your children securely. The seats are well-padded and won't collapse on the ride. Hammock-style seats are more flimsy and may converge in the middle at times. In addition, the Joyride has a very convenient 2-in1 canopy that acts as a weather and bug screen to protect your kids from outdoor conditions.
- It offers a bench-style seat to prevent sagging
- Steel frame trailer ensures durability
- Adjustable harness to properly secure your child
- Canvas canopy to protect your child in all weather conditions
- 20-inch wheels are made of rubber to glide smoothly
- Not ideal for off-road towing since it doesn't have a suspension